Papaya One of the best fruit that I like is Papaya, not for only it’s taste but it’s nutrition values and its health benefits. The papaya also known as papaw, or pawpaw at some places is the fruit of the plant Carica papaya belonging to the family of Caricaceae. Basically It is native to the tropics of the Americas, but now being cultivated and used almost around the earth. It is used as a food, a cooking aid, and also in the various natural medicines. The uses and papaya benefits are discussed in the upcoming section of this article.
- Papaya fruit is a rich source of various nutrition such as provitamin A carotenoids, different types of vitamins such as vitamin C, vitamin B, lycopene, dietary minerals and dietary fibre.
- Due to the fibres present in the fruit, and enzymes, it is considered great for digestive system.
- Papaya skin, pulp and seeds also contain a variety of phytochemicals, including natural phenols.
- A compound named Danielone is a phytoalexin which is found in the papaya fruit. This compound showed high antifungal activity against Colletotrichum gloesporioides, a pathogenic fungus of papaya
- Papaya pulp or juice is considered very effective for skin and beauty problems. It is used in various cosmetics as a main ingredient.
- Various studies shows that consuming papayas increase the immunity power of the body.